Indiana State Flag
The state banner was adopted by the Indiana General Assembly in 1917 as part of the commemoration of the state's centennial following a competition sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution. The prize-winning design was submitted by Paul Hadley of Mooresville, Indiana. The torch in the center stands for liberty and enlightenment; the rays represent their far-reaching influence. The outer circle of stars stands for the original thirteen states and the inner circle of stars for the five states next admitted to the union. The large star stands for Indiana, the nineteenth state. This banner is "regulation in addition to the American flag, with all of the military forces of the State of Indiana, and in all public functions in which the state may or shall officially appear."
By act of the 1955 Indiana General Assembly the state banner adopted in 1917 was designated the state flag.
Text from History of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Indiana. Centennial Edition. 1996. Submitted by Kathryn Bloom