Brookville Stone House Project
(Also known as the Twin Forks Chapter House)
168 E 1st Street Brookville, Indiana 47012
Historical Significance: The house is an example of a two-story double-pen plan house, occasionally called a "double entry I-house," a form seen in Indiana's more developed eastern and southern counties from the 1810's into the 1840's. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 as a contributing resource within the Brookville Historic District. This stone house survived several floods throughout the 19th and 20th century while located in an area which experienced major losses of property and lives, the most tragic being the flood of 1913 that resulted in 15 deaths and 600 people homeless. Brookville was platted in 1808 and this house is the only stone house remaining in this town.
Acknowledgments: Twin Forks Chapter DAR purchased this house on October 2, 2018. A study is currently in process to outline the steps involved in rehabilitation of the house. The exterior will be restored to replicate the structure as built in 1829. The interior of the house had been gutted by a previous owner. The interior will be remodeled to be used as the chapter house of Twin Forks Chapter DAR. General meeting room, kitchen, handicap restroom, storage, and museum of chapter records.
Caroline Scott Harrison Chapter House and Museum
4635 North Illinois Street Indianapolis, IN 46208
Historical Significance: The Caroline Scott Chapter House and museum has furniture and clothing from Caroline Scott Harrison one of DAR's first ladies.
Acknowledgements: The Caroline Scott Chapter House and Museum is owned, operated, and maintained by the Caroline Scott Chapter, NSDAR. The museum contains furnishings and clothing belonging to Caroline Scott Harrison, First Lady and seventh member of the DAR.
Colonel Augustin de la Balme Memorial Site
De La Balme Road Columbia City, IN 46725
Historical Significance: The Colonel De La Balme Chapter dedicated this memorial site near the
banks of the Eel River in Whitley Co., IN on November 5, 1930. At this site a battle between Col. Augustin de la Balme (and his men) and Chief Little Turtle (and his Miami Warriors) occurred on or about November 1780. Col. de la Balme and his men marched northward from Vincennes, IN to this location to be defeated by Chief Little Turtle and his warriors. No names are listed at the memorial site, but according to records, most of his men died with him at this location.
Acknowledgements: The Chapter promotes awareness of the historical significance of this site year-round.
Elston Memorial Home
400 East Wabash Avenue
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
The Colonel Isaac C. Elston House, built between 1880 and 1882, is significant for its historic association with a family prominent in the development of Crawfordsville. The house is architecturally significant as a superb example of the eastern stick style, and for the excellence of its craftsmanship, detailing, and high degree of integrity.
Col. Elston's father, Major Isaac C. Elston, was an early pioneer in Crawfordsville, establishing a store and erecting a log cabin there in 1823. He was also instrumental in founding Michigan City, and helped with the development of Lafayette, Indiana. In 1850 he became president of the Crawfordsville and Wabash Railroad. Largely due to his efforts, the line was completed to Lafayette in 1852, and merged with the New Albany and Salem line. This railroad insured Crawfordsville's economic future. In 1853 Major Elston and his son-in-law, future U.S. Senator Henry S. Lane, established the first bank in Crawfordsville.
The Major's son, Col. Elston, was born in 1836, and was educated at Wabash College and the University of Michigan, then served during the Civil War under Col. Lew Wallace. He established the First National Bank of Memphis, Tennessee, in 1864, and a brokerage business in Cincinnati in 1866. He returned to Crawfordsville when his father died in 1867, and assumed control of the Elston and Company banking firm. In 1905 the bank became the Elston National Bank, which was later under the direction of his son, Isaac C. Elston, III. This bank has now been absorbed by first National City Bank which then became PNC Bank.
This house was constructed circa 1882 in Elston Grove, a large wooded grove south of the elder Elston's brick federal style house. This grove was also built upon by the Elston daughters, Joanna (married to Henry S. Lane) and Susan (married to Lew Wallace). The Lane Place was listed in the National Register in 1981. The Wallace home no longer stands, but Lew Wallace's nearby study is a National Historic Landmark, where it is said he wrote most of Ben Hur.
The house has been owned by the Elston Memorial Foundation since 1923, when ownership was transferred directly from the family. Many of the original furnishings are still in the house, and no major changes have been made. The house exhibits the outstanding characteristics of the stick style, including the projecting gable; vertical, horizontal and diagonal boards applied over the horizontal siding; and oversized brackets. It is one of the most outstanding examples in the state, particularly notable because of its unchanged condition.
Acknowledgements: We are preserving the property and use it as our Chapter House for our meetings/events. We also participate with the General Lew Wallace Study in early December for a Holiday High Tea.
Madonna of the Trail Statue
Entrance to Glen Miller Park, 22nd and East Main Streets
Richmond, IN 47374
"Madonna of the Trail is a series of 12 monuments dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women in the United States. The monuments were commissioned by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). They were installed in each of the 12 states along the National Old Trails Road (Route 40), which extended from Bethesda, Maryland, to Upland, California.
Created by sculptor August Leimbach and funded by contributions, the Madonna of the Trail monuments were intended to provide a symbol of the courage and faith of the women whose strength and love aided so greatly in conquering the wilderness and establishing permanent homes. Dedicated in 1928 and 1929, the twelve statues became sources of local pride. Through the continuing efforts of local and national groups, all are currently in good condition and on display." (Wording from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_of_the_Trail)
Marker Organization: National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Marker Date: 1928
Marker Text: Madonna of the Trail presented and dedicated October 28, 1928 by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Restored 1988 by the Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution, State Regent Mrs. Robert Paul Rehl Rededicated October 29, 1988
Acknowledgements: The Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution own and maintain this Madonna of the Trail Statue.
Corner of State and Main Streets
New Albany, IN 47150
This house was erected by Joel Scribner, a founding father of New Albany. Three generations of this family lived in the house; they were the only family to reside in this house. The last Scribner, Miss Harriet Scribner, sold this house to the Piankeshaw Chapter in 1917 for $1500. The house contains many Scribner family treasurers, antiques, and three paintings by George Morrison, who was from the New Albany area. Other antiques of that same time period have been donated to the house/museum.
Acknowledgements: The Piankeshaw Chapter, NSDAR owns, operates, and maintains this museum and provides docent led tours.
William Henry Harrison Mansion
3 West Scott Street
Vincennes, IN 47591
This was the home of the Territorial Governor of the Indiana Territory and ninth President of the United States William Henry Harrison. Also, it was the confrontational meeting place in 1810 and 1811 of Harrison and Shawnee leader Tecumseh. Note: On the property grounds are two additional buildings. One is the Francis Vigo Chapter House. It was once a barracks located at the George Field Flight Training Base in Lawrence County, Illinois. The building was used for many years during the training of WWII pilots. The barracks was moved from George Field Flight Training Base to it's present location in 1952. The Francis Vigo Chapter purchased the building in 1973 and since then have used it as their chapter house. This chapter house contains the history of the Francis Vigo Chapter in photos, books, records, documents, and applications of members. It also contains many items left to the chapter by the descendants of William Henry Harrison such as sterling silver tea sets, carpets, paintings, antique mirrors, photos, and more.
The other building on the grounds is the Queen Anne Cottage. It was built in 1886 by the Vincennes Water Company to house the superintendent of the water company. The Vincennes Water Company were once owners of the William Henry Harrison Mansion, known as Grouseland, and the current owner is Francis Vigo Chapter NSDAR. The chapter rents the two apartments that are in the building. This income helps to maintain the grounds of the mansion and for any repairs needed for the mansion, Francis Vigo Chapter House, or the Queen Anne Cottage.
Acknowledgements: The Francis Vigo Chapter, NSDAR owns and helps to maintain the mansion. They use it as a museum to help teach and preserve the many contributions of Governor and Past President William Henry Harrison.